The 21-22 June 2017 Africa Expert Consultation on Violence against Children (VAC) in All Care Settings is one part of a series of regional expert consultations on VAC and Care organized by Better Care Network's Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Initiative, the African Child Policy Forum and other partners (Family for Every Child, HelpAge International, Hope and Homes for Children, International Social Service, REPSSI, Save the Children and SOS Children’s Villages), in collaboration with the SRSG on Violence against Children. The expert consultation builds on global and regional progress and commitments surrounding the elimination of violence against children and the establishment of appropriate care for children, in alignment with international standards.
The expert consultation in Africa has two key objectives:
- To convene and engage all key actors involved in the elimination of violence against children and implementation of the international guidelines on the alternative care of children within the region.
- To establish an effective regional working group with a concrete action plan to implement the recommendations indicated in the UN Study on Violence against Children and the Guidelines for the Alternative Care of Children.
Presentations from the 21-22 Africa Expert Consultation included:
- Keynote Address by SRSG Marta Santos Pais
- Keynote Address by Ruth Wachuka, Kenya Society of Careleavers
- Opening Remarks by Mr. Noah Sanganyi, the Director of Children's Services, Kenya
- Social Protection as a Means of Preventing Family Separation
- Key Findings Related to VAC in Kinship Care in East Africa
- Child abuse prevention through parenting programmes
- Status of INSPIRE Implementation in Uganda
- Care Reform within Ghana’s Child Protection system
- VAC and Alternative care in refugee settings
- Trafficking into alternative care
- Strengthening the care workforce in how to prevent and respond to VAC and care
- Child Marriage and Violence against Children