Better Care Network highlights recent news pieces related to the issue of children's care around the world. These pieces include newspaper articles, interviews, audio or video clips, campaign launches, and more.
The 2017 Global Flagship Report by Know Violence in Childhood exposes the troubling prevalence of childhood violence around the world, urging leaders to invest in prevention mechanisms to end violence against children.
Findings from a Dutch television program have inspired the Government of Netherlands to call for an investigation into the irregularities in adoptions from Sri Lanka. Investigative journalists claim that at least 11,000 babies from Sri Lanka adopted by foreign couples were either bought or stolen from their parents.
In a recent debate, Jamaica's Education Minister Senator Ruel Reid addressed the number of children living in alternative care in the country: in September 2016, 57 percent of children in care lived in various family-based care settings, while the remaining 43 percent (1,998 children) lived in residential care.
International actors and representatives from Armenia, Ghana, Moldova, and Uganda convened in London September 11-15 2017 to learn and share experiences to inform the alternative care reform process in the four countries.
During the launch of Malta's public consultation on standards of adoption, the Minister of Family Affairs announced that adoptive families will benefit from up to €10,000 and be partially refunded for travel expenses.