The First International Conference of the Department of Social Work, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, with the theme “Emerging and Contemporary Social Issues: The place of Social Work Education and Practice in Nigeria” was held 10-13 September 2018 and included 96 oral presentations of papers by delegates from across the country. Several papers focused on illegal adoptions of children in Nigeria and the role of social workers in addressing this practice. Papers related to illegal adoptions in Nigeria include the following:
- Social Work Intervention against Illegal Child Adoption in Enugu State, Nigeria by Udechukwu, N.S.
- Exploring the Intricacies of Illegal Child Adoption in Lagos and the Role of Social Work as a Panacea by Adebowale Ayobade (PhD) & Gafar F. Olowu.
- Illegal Child Adoption and the Place of Social Work Practice in Nigeria by Onyishi Nkechinyere
- Perception of Academic Staff of the University of Nigeria Nsukka on Illegal Child Adoption in Nigeria: Implication for Social Work Practice by Uzuegbu, Charity N., Nnama-Okechukwu, Chinwe U., Agha, A. Agha, Ugwu Joy & Chukwuorji Johnbosco
- Societal Perception of Illegal Child Adoption and Implications for Social Work Practice in Enugu Metropolis South-East Nigeria by Sunday E. Abonyi, Ph.D., Samuel O. Ebimgbo & Christy N. Obi-Keguna