Save the Children is a recognized leader in protecting children in emergencies in the U.S. and ensuring children and their families have the resources they need to recover. The Senior Specialist, Emergency Mobilization ensures that when disaster strikes in the U.S., Save the Children can rapidly deploy with fully trained staff and volunteers to help communities, families and caregivers meet the unique needs of affected children. The Senior Specialist, Emergency Mobilization acts as the deputy on the Mobilization team and ensures there is holistic deployment support and fully trained staff available on every domestic response. This role deploys in leadership roles to US Emergency responses and reports to the Director, Emergency Mobilization.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Surge Deployment and Systems (30%)
- Ensure the safe, rapid deployment of trained surge staff and volunteers to US emergency responses through end-to-end deployment support.
- Maintain an accurate surge register and ensure a full list of responders is available.
- Manage and continuously enhance all surge and response deployment and training systems in close collaboration with IT.
- Ensure all surge standard operating procedures are up to date and create new standards as needed.
- Cultivate linkages with surge stakeholders across SCUS, SCI and Members (e.g. SCI Global Humanitarian Surge Platform (GHSP), DHR etc.)
- Manage the Duty Watch Officer work stream ensuring staff are trained and up-to- date resources are easily accessible.
- Lead on continuous improvement projects across the US Emergencies as needed
Surge Recruitment, Onboarding and Management (15%)
- Actively recruit from existing staff members, new surge staff and volunteers; engage them in onboarding process and ensure they complete surge register application form.
- Conduct yearly audit of U.S. Emergencies Surge Register system
- Proactively communicate with surge team and other interested surge staff; keep all responders engaged and provide advice and guidance on potential deployment opportunities.
- Manage surge consultant contracts including drafting new contracts, and facilitating all administrative processes needed to ensure compliance with HR procedures and policies.
- Maintain a job description (JD) database for both response and recovery contexts and follow up with necessary focal points should JDs need to be updated or created.
Under the direction of the Director, Mobilization
- Assess training needs, set training agenda and create a training framework for U.S. Emergencies.
- Develop, manage and support the delivery of the training package for all surge staff and volunteers and ensure completion of the required trainings for deployment in a timely manner.
- Lead the yearly roll out of in person and/or virtual surge trainings, role specific/deep dive trainings and other general U.S. Emergencies surge trainings.
- Guide and support the department on the transition to online/virtual training platforms including Zoom, Cornerstone, Cypherworxs, Collaboration and Articulate.
Respond to and Support U.S. Emergency Deployments (25%)
- Deploy to domestic responses in a variety of roles including surge manager and field-based leadership roles, as well as serve as a Backstop.
- Facilitate surge deployment processes for response teams
- Based on our business needs during a response, U.S. Emergencies employees, including the Senior Specialist, Emergency Mobilization, are expected to deploy for 3 to 6 weeks at a time.
- You have a minimum 5-7 years' experience in area of expertise
- Bachelor degree or equivalent relevant experience required
- Professional level of technical or managerial knowledge, skills, and experience to manage the operational activities of a unit or team, or provide the technical and management support related to various size programs, grants or projects.
- Must be willing to deploy to U.S. disasters for 3-6 weeks
- Demonstrated organizational, planning and coordination skills
- Proven problem solver and ability to prioritize in a fast paced situation
- Excellent communication and presentation/facilitation skills
- Comfortable using online platforms and systems
- Self-starter and flexible team player with an ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- Strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Humanitarian response experience
- Experience developing training curricula and delivering training to adult learners
- Experience with Learning Management Systems and programs
- Experience in partnership cultivation and management
- Spanish language skills
No application deadline provided.