Apply by: Midnight on Monday 29th May
Please note this role can be remote but applicants must currently be based in the UK and have the right to work in the UK
About Restless Development
Restless Development is a global non profit agency. We support the collective power of young leaders to create a better world. We are independently registered and governed in nine countries (India, Nepal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda, UK, USA, Zambia and Zimbabwe) bound together by our vision for youth power. We run youth-led programmes to tackle the issues that young people care about the most – We also run the Youth Collective – a growing network of over 4000 local youth civil society groups and organisations in 185 countries. We are committed to creating an agency that walks the talk on power shifting, using the power shifting checklist, both internally and externally.
Our approach to safeguarding
Restless Development considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults to be an organisational imperative with primacy over the success of programmes or strategic objectives. We recognise that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and we expect all of our staff, volunteers and partners to ensure we protect the communities in which we operate from harm and abide by our Safeguarding Policy.
About the role
The Young Gamechangers Fund (YGF) is a new and exciting UK funding initiative established through a dynamic partnership between the Co-op Foundation, Co-op, Global Fund for Children, Restless Development and one other funder that share a common vision for the future of youth-led change. The Young Gamechangers Fund will be co-designed with youth activists to change the way that youth-led activism, social change and movement building is funded in the UK.
The Youth Power Coordinator will provide support, training and guidance to a diverse cohort of young grantees, including those from under-represented communities. The grantees might be active across a whole range of issues, whether that be addressing racism; creating radical new employment opportunities; helping people to improve their mental health; or tackling climate change.
We are looking for someone who is excited by youth leadership and wants to support young people to drive positive social change in communities across the UK. You might have worked in the youth sector already or been a young volunteer or activist yourself. You are organised and can manage multiple tasks, enjoy helping people work through strategic and operational challenges and are comfortable with getting on the phone or online to speak to people at short notice.
The role will be a key part of the YGF team, working closely with colleagues based within Global Fund for Children (GFC). It will also be part of Restless Development’s growing team in the UK that supports our network of young leaders, and can be based anywhere within the UK.
1. Network building and support for grantees
- Build strong trust-based relationships with a portfolio of grantees, scheduling regular connections – both in-person and online
- Working with each grantee to establish specific support needs, and identifying mentoring, training and resources to address these – allowing each grantee to get the most out of their grant, and to work through any challenges
- Working closely with colleagues, including safeguarding leads, to ensure the safety, security and wellbeing of grantees and young people involved in the fund
- Helping to build an active network of Young Gamechangers by providing opportunities for them to connect, share and learn from each other – working closing with the Youth Power Coordinator, and the global Youth Collective
2. Delivery of training and events
- Working with Restless Development and GFC colleagues to design and deliver the social action and activism training package for the Young Gamechangers, both online and in-person
- Support - and where required, lead on - the organisation of in-person and online events
- Ensure that all training and other events are accessible for all participants, working with safeguarding and other colleagues where required
3. Support the delivery of the fund
- Working with other members of the YGF team, including colleagues at GFC, to coordinate the participatory co-design process, and youth-led grant making panels throughout the lifespan of the fund
- Working with the Communications team to highlight case studies and support youth-led storytelling, in line with the communications and outreach strategy
- Working with the Learning partner to ensure monitoring, evaluation and learning data is effectively captured.
- Work closely with the UK and Influencing Director, to understand the changing campaigning and youth sector landscape in the UK, helping to identify and develop partnership opportunities with other UK-based organisations
- Contributing to agency wide learning, working with colleagues across the global agency to build expertise in funding and supporting youth social action
- You will occasionally be required to work on weekends and/or public holidays, for which time off in lieu will be granted
- Other duties as required
- Job title: Youth Power Coordinator - Young Gamechangers Fund
- Location: UK - Remote
- Salary: £30,786 (gross annual amount)
- Preferred start date: ASAP
- Length of contract: Fixed-term until April 2026 subject to ongoing funding.
- Reports to: Head of Programme Operations and Quality
- Expected travel: Regular travel within the UK; including occasionally at weekends
(Please note applicants must have the right to work in the UK).
We are looking for people with the right competencies and skills for the role, and who demonstrate the personal qualities consistent with our Values.
Our value: HEART - We are who we serve. We are brave.
- Values led: Supports managers to embed a values led culture within their team. Uses values to guide decision making and group actions.
- Innovation: Is driven to generate ideas which continually improve ways of working, involving others in problem solving. Adapts style to cope with and support others through change.
Our value: HEAD - Delivers Quality. We are 100% professional.
- Delivers Quality: Strives for continual improvement against individual goals, seeking opportunities to maximise their contribution to team priorities. Supports others to deliver quality and improve their work. Takes ownership for ensuring value-for-money in the areas for which they take partial ownership.
- Decision making: With guidance, takes ownership for programme elements and/or internal processes. Considers underlying issues and Restless Values when making operational decisions.
Our value: VOICE - We generate leaders. We are proud to carry the banner for youth-led development.
- Leadership: Confidently leads programme elements and/or internal processes. Will typically manage one or more junior staff members and is seen as a leader amongst their peers.
- People Development: Regularly seeks feedback and evaluates own performance, creating opportunities for personal development. Develops others through proactive sharing of knowledge, skills and opportunities.
Our value: HANDS - We are in it together. We listen and learn.
- Effective communication: Confidently adapts their communication style to suit their audience. Is able to influence others to build shared understanding.
- Collaboration: Seeks opportunities to collaboratively deliver quality against team goals by building strong relationships with colleagues from across the organisation. Works with external partners to maximise mutual benefits.
Skills and experience
- Experience of mobilising and supporting young people from diverse communities in the UK to take social action (e.g. through campaigning, organising or volunteering)
- Experience in working with young people from underserved communities within the UK (such as those who have experienced racism and discrimination)
- Experience of organising events, and in designing and facilitating training
- Strong project coordination and time management skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to adapt information so that it is accessible for a diverse group of people
- Belief in the values of Restless Development and ability to uphold them personally
- Experience of supporting the management of grants, or experience of receiving a grant for a social action project
- Experience of managing websites and social media channels, and developing engaging content, such as newsletters and blogs
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning
Restless Development is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community. Restless Development will ensure that no applicant or staff member receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital status, social status, caste, race, ethnic origin, religious belief, age, HIV status, disability, or any other factor that cannot be shown to be relevant to performance.
What we do for you
We are proud to commit to a transparent global salary scale, ensuring a fair and comparable system of pay across all global locations. In addition to salary, we offer pension contributions and other benefits in accordance with the local Hub.
Values and Culture
At Restless Development, we’re proud that the strength and integrity of our Values has been recognised by staff, young people, donors and others who we work with. Beyond this, we have a culture of recognising and celebrating both our Values and our global achievements with monthly Values Champions and an annual Values Day.
It goes without saying that we work hard at Restless Development. We also recognise the importance of helping staff to maintain a positive work-life balance by offering:
- 24 days annual leave (in addition to public holidays and with an extra day of annual leave given for each full year of service, up to a maximum of 28 days).
- Birthday Leave
- Access to flexible working.
- Generous study leave, maternity, paternity or adoption leave, and other leave allowances.
Restless Development is proud to be an employer who recognises potential and invests in the development of its staff. We are committed to the professional development of our staff through:
- Empowering opportunities to work on significant projects which stretch and inspire staff – allowing them to develop on-the-job.
- Regular performance management.
- Training and development opportunities, including supporting our staff to identify mentors both within and outside of the agency.
- Quarterly Staff Workshops for all staff to give and receive agency updates, receive training, and socialise.
Travel and Medical Insurance
When travelling abroad with work, all staff will be covered by Restless Development’s travel and medical insurance.
- Please submit your CV and a covering letter that explains why you are excited by this role, and provides examples of how your skills and experience respond to the essential and desirable criteria in the Job Description (using no more than 500 words).
- In addition please answer the 2 questions included as part of the online application form to help us better understand your particular experience and approach to working with young people.
Interviews are scheduled to take place during the week commencing 5th June.
If this isn’t the right Young Gamechanger’s Fund role for you, please check out other open roles on the Global Fund for Children website here.